Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Update!

Last week, I received a phone call from the principal at Emma's school, and he informed me that Emma performed well on her achievement test, and that she would be a good candidate for the Kindergarten/1st grade split-level class! He told me that we could think about it, and then let them know our decision within a few days. Mike and I talked about it, and decided to talk to her current Kindergarten teacher and get her opinion. So I took Emma to school Friday morning. I asked her teacher for her opinion, and she showed me Emma's testing scores. She showed me where most Kindergarteners fell, and where Emma was. Emma scored the top 2 in her class, and let's not forget she is still 4!! She informed me that Emma would probably be sent to this split class to read, do math, etc. anyways, and it would benefit her to switch to this class, (although she would hate to lose her). So yesterday, Emma went to her new class, and loved it! The teacher is wonderful! We are so proud of her! She has done so well! She definitely did not need pre-k--in fact, her (1st) Kindergarten teacher told us that it would have been a mistake not to send her. I am still glad that we took our time in making our decision to send her to Kindergarten--now we know that we did in fact make the right one!

But Emma is not our only smart child. Gabriel amazes me. He loves learning, and absorbs information like a little sponge! He recognizes all of his letters, all of his colors (he loves the rainbow book), and loves to spell words (on signs, shirts, etc.) He loves to count! I need to "test" him and see how far he can count. He also recognizes numbers 1-10 (by viewing). Yesterday they practiced writing the number "1", and he traced it several times, then he did an entire row of "1"'s on his own! And so far, he has come home with a smiley face every single day, which he is always so proud of! They painted the letter "A" one day last week, and he did so well! He stayed in the lines! (I still have Emma's first "A" that she painted in Mrs. Michelle's class, and she painted hers the same color--blue!)

Well, enough bragging for now since I have to go pick up Emma! There will be more bragging to come, I am sure!!

No comments: